Marylebone Forum Open Meeting – 10th October 2016

An Open Meeting of the Marylebone Forum will take place at 7:00 pm on 10th October 2016 at the St. Marylebone Parish Church, 17 Marylebone Road, NW1 5LT. The purpose of the meeting is to inform you about the progress the Forum Committee has made to date and more importantly to hear from you!  It will provide an opportunity for each sub-committee chair to report on their areas of concern and interest and accomplishments so far as we move to the development of a Neighbourhood Plan. It will also provide an opportunity to engage directly with Committee members and to ask questions about the Forum and Committee progress. It will also give you the chance to consider recommendations to improve the overall function of the Forum Committee and to join the Forum if you have not already done so. Please come and support your Forum, and encourage others who live or work in the area to do so as well.   OPEN MEETING OF MARYLEBONE FORUM 7:00 pm Monday October 10th 2016 AGENDA Apologies Welcome and Introduction Report of Marylebone Fayre Engagement Reports from Sub-Groups Design and Conservation Parking Special Policy Areas Lifetime Neighbourhood Air Quality The Public Realm and Transport Governance Committee Proposals Action item Forum Committee Reports Finance and Funding Questions Engagement with Committee Members   Under item 5 Governance Committee Proposals, Forum members will be asked to consider the following motions concerning the membership of the Forum and the present Articles of Association: 5.1 To consider a motion from the Forum Committee to enrol all signed up members of the Marylebone Forum as members of the Marylebone Forum...

Read more

The Marylebone Forum AGM 2016

The first Annual General Meeting of the Forum took place at International Students House on Thursday 28th January 2016. The primary purpose of the meeting was to elect the Forum Committee to manage the creation of a neighbourhood plan on behalf of members, residents, businesses and the working population of Marylebone. In excess of one hundred members attended for what proved to be a lively and occasionally acrimonious discussion which highlighted matters of concern to members. The meeting commenced with a brief review by Kevin Coyne (Acting Chair) of the original thinking behind the formation of the Forum and a description of the three years of work which had been necessary to achieve designation. The election of the Committee followed. As there were 20 candidates for a maximum of 26 positions on the committee it was agreed (after some debate on the subject) that the resident and non resident candidates should be proposed as panels. Both groups were adopted by a substantial majority. The following committee members were proposed and confirmed by a majority show of hands: Resident: Amanda Feeny Tim Carnegie Hugh Small Steven Dollond Sarah Hume Sheila deSouza Michael Bolt Richard Lovell Mike Wood Stephen Quinn Non Resident: Simon Loomes – Portman Estate Kay Buxton – Marble Arch London (BID) Andrew Wilson – Howard de Walden Estate Canon Rev Stephen Evans – Faith Groups Kevin Coyne – Educational establishments Steven Medway – New West End Company  (BID) Michael Meadows – British Land Penny Alexander – Baker St Quarter (BID) Matthew Rivett – Oriental Club Kerstin Bowers – Ridgeford Properties The following Officers were proposed and confirmed by a...

Read more

Marylebone Forum AGM – January 2016

We hope to see a good turnout of all our Forum members at the first Marylebone Forum AGM. It is being held on January 28th at 7.00pm at International Students House 229 Great Portland Street, London W1W 5PW. The Forum Committee will be elected at this meeting and Tony Burton, founder of Civic Voice and neighbourhood forum planning consultant, will talk on the concept of the Forum and the powers available to it. Following this neighbourhood planning experts rCOH will detail the results of their initial plan scoping exercise for Marylebone undertaken on behalf of the Forum and be inviting the participants to comment and put forward their ideas for the...

Read more

rCOH Workshop Notes

rCOH – specialists in the field of neighbourhood planning, held a planning scoping exercise with members of the Forum in November 2015. Notes of the conclusions on how a neighbourhood plan could work for Marylebone are available...

Read more

Nominations for election as Committee Representative for the Marylebone Forum

Reminder – the deadline for Nominations for Committee Representatives to sit on the Marylebone Forum is the 28th December. Anyone interested please complete this APPLICATION FORM detailing what aspect of the community you feel that would be able to represent on the Forum, together with a photo. We will be putting all nominations up on the website in early January. For further details on what acting as a committee member would entail please click...

Read more

Marylebone Forum Now Designated

We are pleased to be able to announce that the Marylebone Forum has now received it’s official designation as the neighbourhood forum for the Marylebone area, the official letter from Westminster Council can be seen by clicking here. This means that we can now start the real business of the Forum, the development of a neighbourhood plan for the area. We need to first draw up a programme to help us achieve this and explore avenues of funding for it. We will need help and support to get this done. If you would like to get involved and help us please get in touch with me. We will be starting the process now and have arranged an AGM for 7:00pm on Thursday, January 28th 2016 at International Students House when we will elect the Committee members and report on our progress to date as well as get your ideas on how to proceed. Please put this date in your diary, further details to follow. Should you wish to be nominated as a Committee Member for election at the AGM, please send a statement of interest to: Marylebone Forum c/o International Students House 229 Great Portland Street London W1W5PN e-mail: kcthedean@gmail.com Please send your letter of interest no later than 28th December...

Read more

Neighbourhood Planning Symposium

Following a request from attendees at the Forum meeting on the 25th February , a first educational symposium on Neighbourhood Planning was held at International Students House on the 17th June 2015. The exercise was conducted by Tony Burton , who has been a major force in the development of Forums/Neighbourhood Planning and has written a number of publications on the topic. The presentation briefly covered the background to “Localism” and neighbourhood planning, and then went on to review the progress made to date both nationally and more specifically in the Greater London area. While some 1500+ projects are now under way to develop Neighbourhood Forums , only some two or three have yet reached the final stage and a realistic timescale of two to three years was mentioned. In an interactive exercise, a number of local problems , worries or demands were highlighted and these were then reviewed as to the possibility of being affected or at least influenced by a Neighbourhood Plan . The primary consideration was the need –or otherwise- for planning permission. If required ,the neighbourhood plan could have a much greater influence. The presentation was followed by a lengthy Q&A session. Full details of the presentation are available on the Forum website. We are still awaiting a final response from Westminster City Council regarding the designation of the Marylebone Forum. Once this has been achieved, we will move to the AGM and election of a Forum Committee. A copy of the presentation can be found in the Neighbourhood Planning Section under PRESENTATIONS – click...

Read more

New Funding for the Forum

We are pleased to announce that the Bryanston & Dorset Square and Marylebone High Street Ward Councillors have generously agreed to contribute a total of £4,000 to the Forum out of their ward budget funding. We are most grateful for this and the overall support for the Forum that we have received from our Councillors to date. This new money will enable us to continue with our publicity and planning for our post- designation work and to run some planning seminars for Forum members who have expressed a desire to learn more about neighbourhood planning. Meanwhile we are also exploring the possibility of further Locality grant...

Read more

Review: Inaugural Meeting of the Marylebone Forum

Around 200 local residents and business representatives including many who have already joined the organisation, attended the inaugural meeting of the Marylebone Forum at International Students house on the 25th February. The meeting was chaired by Kevin Coyne in his position as acting Chair of the Marylebone Forum. KC opened the meeting with a summary of the purpose of the Forum and thanked everyone for attending He then introduced the Members of the Forum panel.. Presentations from six members of the Forum Panel covered PROGRESS TO DATE IN ESTABLISHING THE FORUM AND THE NEXT STEPS Michael Bolt, Chair Marylebone Association Area has been designated and formal application for establishment (Designation) of the Forum has been submitted to Westminster City Council.We would hope to have agreement within the next two to three months –Although the coming election could lead to some delay. Following designation an AGM will be held for all members (Business and Residential) to elect a full representative committee-Membership to be split 50/50 between Residents and “Business” which includes professional and educational organisations REASONS FOR SUPPORTING THE FORUM Mike Wood–Chair Marylebone Society The Revd Stephen Evans – Rector of St Marylebone -Simon Loomes-Development Director , Portman Estate A variety of reasons for supporting the Forum were presented , notably -While amenity societies have essentially been reactive, commenting on policies and plans developed by others, the Forum will be able to proactively develop planning policies for the neighbourhood. -With surrounding areas creating Forums – , it was highly desirable that Marylebone should have its own voice .Furthermore , establishment of the Forum would allow it to influence the use of...

Read more